Here is a growing collection of resources we use or find inspiring for ourselves, or for you, as reader here. Some is background information, some are about the tools and methods we use.
Please note this is a work in progress, and it will grow over time.
On Historic and Collective Trauma
- ESSAY: Recognising and Healing Malignant Shame, by Garrett O’Connor: an essay on how the Irish identity is shaped by the history of English colonialism. As an example for other cultural identities formed under century long abuse of power.
- BOOK: Killing in the Name of Identity. A Study of Bloody Conflicts. by Vamik Volkan. 2006.
On Healing Historic and Collective Trauma
- ESSAY: How do we heal trauma suffered by native communities? Written by Gabor Maté for The Globe and Mail.
- BOOK: The Tears of the Ancestors. Victims and Perpetrators in the Tribal Soul, by Daan Van Kampenhout – also available in Dutch and German
- BOOK: Trauma Trails. Recreating Song Lines. The Transgenerational Effects of Trauma in Indigenous Australia, by Judy Atkinson.
- WEBSITE: Healing the Wounds of History, through drame and the expressive arts. – when working with a group of participants who share a common legacy of historical trauma. Lots of resources and links!
- PAPER: Transforming Historical Harms, by David Anderson Hooker &Amy Potter Czajkowski – with a good framework and a lot of definitions. Useful!
- READING LIST: Reading List to the study of intergenerational trauma and healing. Compiled by the Stanford University Research Group on Collective Trauma and Healing.
on Healing Family and Inter-generational Trauma
- Family Stories, Secrets and Survival: Dr. Judith Landau at TEDxVailWomen
- It didn’t start with you. How inherited family trauma shapes who we are. by Mark Wolynn, excerpt of the book.
on Systemic Constellation work
- blog post by Beth Tener: Finding new ways to ‘see systems’
on the Art of Hosting and Circle Practice
- Art of Hosting – introduction
- Art of Hosting general website
- Four-fold Practice – core practice fields in Art of Hosting
- Use of Art of Hosting practices in communities – video
- Circle Process – video
- The Circle Way – website with tons of information
- The Art of Hosting Companion Guide, “intended to illuminate the deeper patterns and the distinctive work and contribution of Art of Hosting to the field”.
- Kosmos Journal Article A Glimpse into the More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible: The Art of Hosting Conversations that Matter by Helen Titchen Beeth
on Trauma and Epigenetics
- Study of Holocaust survivors finds trauma passed on to children’s genes, by Helen Thomson, 2015
- Grandma’s experience leave epigenetic mark on your genes, by Dan Hurley 2015